Today, single desktop applications have mostly gone the way of the dinosaur but they still have their place. If your business:
- Does not have internet access; or
- Does not want to use online services and/or minimize data exposure; or
- Utilize hardware connected to an individual computer,
a desktop application may be what you need.
- Relatively quick to prototype.
- Data security is enhanced as it is typically not sent across the Internet.
- Can use specific hardware attached to the users computer (e.g. scanner, printer, 3D printer, etc.)
- Typically higher performance / lower response times.
- Needs to be installed on each computer it is used on.
- Updates need to be installed per computer.
- Not overly portable or convenient (e.g. need a desktop or laptop).